Enrolling in Courses

Costal hike.jpg You enrol yourself into courses through the Student Portal after you accept your Offer of Place, pay your fees, and receive your Receipt of Payment. You can log into the Portal with your student ID number or email address and the password you received in the email with your Offer of Place.  Please contact us if you cannot access the Student Portal.

Use the guide below when enrolling into your courses.

Course Enrolment Guide.pdf (1,493 KB)

The following items are useful to keep in mind as you enrol in your courses.


Internal courses are taught in an on-campus classroom in a traditional format. Distance and Block mode courses involve a combination of class-based delivery, online learning, and digital and print resources.  Block courses involve intensive or focused contact over one or more specific time period(s) during the year, during which attendance is absolutely compulsory.

International students must be enrolled in at least 45 credits internally per semester in order to meet the Student Visa requirements set by Immigration New Zealand.  Since 60 credits is the standard load, you may take one course (15 credits) by distance or block mode each semester.  Ensure your home university approves of this mode of study before enrolling in a distance or block course.


Some courses have component fees that cover the practical work associated with that course.  If you choose to enrol in a course with a component fee, the fee is due when you arrive on campus. You can check for fees associated with courses through your Student Portal or by reviewing the course description, which can be found through the Course Search.


The Course Description you can find through the Course Search will list if your course has an exam.  Ensure the courses you want to enrol in do not have exams that clash.


Massey University’s grading system may be different from the one used at your home university.  Please review the Marking Scheme so you understand Massey's grading system.

Some courses are marked as Pass/Fail rather than with a letter grade.  You can check this by finding your course in our Course Search and looking in Weighting under the Assessments heading.  Weightings with percentages will receive a letter grade.  Otherwise, Pass/Fail will be listed.

Confirmation of Enrolment

Once your courses have been approved, you will receive an Enrolment Offer via Student Portal. You can accept or decline to change courses then. Once accepted, the Confirmation of Enrolment will be issued. The Confirmation of Enrolment contains the following information

  • Confirmation of your programme - should be Certificate of Proficiency (Study Abroad) or Certificate of Proficiency (Student Exchange)
  • Confirmation of your approved courses
  • Any courses that could not be approved or that you withdrew from (the reason is shown)
  • Dates you may withdraw from courses without financial and academic penalties.

If you want to make changes to your course choices after you receive your first Confirmation of Enrolment, you may do so using Student Portal up until the end of the first week of the semester. each change generates an Enrolment Offer and you will have to accept each Offer. Once you start studying you will also be able to use Student Portal to withdraw from courses if required. Once you arrive on campus, you should make an appointment with an academic advisor to finalise your courses.

Taking College of Creative Arts courses

We have a few additional items to mention if you are taking even one course within our College of Creative Arts.  You can skip that page if you are not taking any CoCA courses.

How to apply for accommodation>

Contact us Mon - Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm 0800 MASSEY (+64 6 350 5701) TXT 5222 contact@massey.ac.nz Web chat Staff Alumni News Māori @ Massey